if i knew that you were coming i'd a baked a cake.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

ELC Day Twenty-Eight

I couldn't have tried harder to mess up these barbecued pork chops. First I put them on low to simmer while I went to water the community garden row. When I got back, they were burnt on the bottom. So I flipped them and removed the pan from the heat. Then I turned up the heat on a pot of field peas that I had cooked earlier today, and went out to water the back forty. Except I didn't turn the heat up under the field peas, I turned it up under the pork chops and burnt the other side of them.

Maybe multi-tasking isn't my forte.

Other than that, we'll have new red potatoes cooked in chicken stock made from soup bones that I buy from Back Woods Family Farm and vegetable trimmings that I store in a bag in my freezer.

At lunch we had pancakes with fresh strawberries, butter, and a little maple syrup.

I made some pita crisps from some organic whole wheat pita that I purchased from Dough Re Mi and put into the freezer. I cut them into slices, split them apart, brushed the rough sides with olive oil, sprinkled sesame seeds on top, and put them under the broiler for a minute or so, per instructions in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. This is to resolve the cracker cravings, and to make nice little vehicles for egg salad tomorrow. I boiled the eggs today, and I'll make the egg salad when I come home for lunch tomorrow.

Sources:
Pork chops, chicken soup bones, and eggs: Back Woods Family Farms
Sticky Fingers BBQ Sauce: Charleston, SC (Harris Teeter)
Field peas: My garden via freezer
Pita: Dough Re Mi
Strawberries: Vendor at Greensboro Farmer's Curb Market
Olive oil, canola oil, sesame seeds, maple syrup: Deep Roots Market
Butter: Homeland Creamery
Pancake mix (bulk): Earth Fare

No comments: